tcbotb_background

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Dead Again by George Magnum

In the abscence of stars, this is my overall rating. It's not bad, I'll admit, but it's also not going on to a favorites shelf. Not to say anything against a good zombie tromp... I love a good zombie horror story. Unfortunately it's getting harder to find a good, original zombie broohaha. I'm always wishing I'll find
Dead Againthat next rotten gem, but sadly, it's just not meant to be... yet.

I'm not going to trash the book - surely it will appeal to many. And by that, I'm really thinking men. Or young males. Maybe I should qualify that a little further. Young males who really can't get enough zombie horror and play endless zombie brawling campaigns on an Xbox. Or PS3. PS4. Maybe Steam. In fact, my overall feeling was that the story could have been something that mutated out of excessive game playing. And as much as I really wanted to like this, it just kind of stuck in my 'meh' zone.

None of this is to say it's bad. The writing was okay. There was a heap of action. There were Zombies. Military stuff. Betrayal. Characters (yes - the called back into action type to form an elite team). And a really nice cover. Okay, so it was the cover that grabbed me. And then there's that cliff hanger ending. It's meant to make you buy the next installment. Again - it's not a bad thing if you really liked the book. And even if I try, I really can't be too hard on a free book.

For those of you who really love zombies, platform or computer gaming and stories that really feel generated from a young male point of view, here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

The Black Hawk chopper banked a hard turn, rotors thumping, providing a bird’s eye view of the burning landscape. Commander Peterson couldn’t help wondering what people around the world thought of this apocalypse. Maybe they accepted it as a biological infection. Maybe some believed a curse had descended upon the world, that this was the end of days. Maybe some already realized the inevitable, horrible truth: only the strongest would survive.

Within forty eight hours, it had become a global pandemic. There was no explanation. The dead were rising, returning to life, and devouring the living. Commander Peterson, leader of the most elite fighting unit in the U.S. armed forces, was assigned one, last final mission.

In his worst nightmares he never could have imagined this unholy war, or that he and his team were to become the one last hope that still remained….

No comments:

Post a Comment