tcbotb_background

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Devil's Highway - R. Scott Douglas

The Devil's HighwayThe Devil's Highway by R. Scott Douglas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you enjoy the thrill of surprise, The Devil's Highway might just be the book for you. One thing I have to say about this novel is: it was full of surprises. When I picked it up, I half expected another buddy-buddy road trip adventure-slash-treasure hunt to unfold. I was woefully mistaken. The one thing it isn't is another buddy road trip adventure. In fact, it might just defy sub genre classification entirely. This novel just contains nearly everything. I'll try not to give away too many details, but this story had it all. From urban explorers to the white supremacist biker gang, a Chupacabra, illegal immigrants, unexpected heroes, unexpected villains, rednecks, militia, federales, techno-gadgetry, drug running, white slavery, gold mining, robots... there was even a British guy.

The Devil's Highway is a book that will appeal to readers who enjoy action thrillers and are not put off by violence and difficult themes. For me personally, the violence and subject matter wore me down in places. I was grateful the author handled those parts professionally and avoided graphic detail. In all honesty, my own rating would be between three and four stars (3.5). However, I think for many readers this would be a four or five star book. So with rounding, it gets four here.

View all my reviews
Find it on Amazon:
The Devil's Highway

No comments:

Post a Comment